Sunday, June 21, 2009

One Week Already?

So I am amazed that already a week has gone by up here. It seems like only yesterday I was getting on the plane to come up here. Our first guest arrived yesterday, two men from Germany. A few days ago, we took a boat ride to the town of Nondalton, a local native village of about 100 people or so, to get the mail. Coming around the bend from the lodge, seeing the village that was around the corner made me realize I wasn't really in the middle of nowhere after all but still somewhere just remote. Its funny how I crave to be nowhere but always find myself somewhere in the end. 

The post office where I will be getting my mail.

This is Brady and Chris pushing in the boat, leaving our town where Chris says I'll be clubbing at in no time at all.
After Nondalton, we went up some streams where Brady showed us ladies how to fly fish, catching a few grayling in the process. 



Later that day or it could have been the day after, I put on some fishing gear and went out to try some fishing on my own. I caught a few grayling with the help of Chris and a few on my own. At the time I was pretty tired, it being a 10 to midnight fishing run after a long day of working, but I still had a lot of fun.

I don't have pictures of it yet but they have a steam bath here right next to the lake and I mean right next to it. A few nights ago or something like that remember I can't tell time up here, Chris and I took a long steam jumping into the lake periodically (which is very very cold, sorry pacific you are way warmer compared to this lake). 
All and all this is a great summer job so far. Its amazing, beautiful and very comfortable. 

2 comments:

  1. You sure do look cute in your fishing clothes!! Glad to see all the fun being had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your fishing gear outfit. You have got to break down and try the grayling. Im curious to hear about all aspects of being the Alaskan outdoors girl including partaking in the local cuisine.

    ReplyDelete