Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So almost a month in next week. We have five guest right now from Austria, very nice and friendly guest. The son of the head guy of the group got his Ph.D in Economics from a school in Vienna. His thesis paper was the ethic's of consciences, so I was very thrilled to get to talk to him. His favorite philosopher is Schopenhauer so I'm reading a clip-it from The World as Will and Representation to try and impress him but its kind of hard with the language bearer. Not saying that this group isn't fluent in english, but sometimes the accent is so thick its hard to decipher. 
Once I got into the routine here I have been doing pretty well. I find that staying in one place doesn't bother me much. I can sit in the same spot for hours and stare at the wall entertaining myself with some philosophical thought or just running over some scene of the past that I throughly enjoyed not to say I am nostalgic. Nostalgia and me have not gotten along so well in the past few years. I feel it has abandoned me in some way, leaving me indifferent about so many things that once moved me. What has been my biggest problem is taking naps during the day, which basically rob me of my day and mess up my schedule.  


Ladybell and I laid on the porch as I read her some Sartre, Existentialism is Humanism, a very good description of how existentialism should be read and understood as. I remember reading this selection a few years back, trying my hardest to rap my head around philosopher's mumbo-jumbo. This time it has been very easy. I can read it and follow his train of thought, digging deep under the surface about what is and isn't existentialism.

My exercise routine has been that of almost every other day I take a jog on the landing strip. A back and forth jog from one end to the other about three times, making a nice jog that is around four miles. I'm not to scared of bears like I was last year jogging on the pipeline, but now I have to watch out for planes. The other day one snuck up behind me. It was a huge plane, looked like the one in Casablanca black on the bottom and white on the top from Desert Air. You would figure I'd hear it since my music isn't to loud and those planes are loud to begin with, but to my surprise when I turned around to see this huge plane coming towards me I was just thankful that I run on the sidelines because that things wing seemed right over head even though I was of the airstrip. Its pretty exciting to watch these small jets take off while I'm jogging just as much fun as it is to watch the clients take off with Kirk in the beaver in the morning.
Talking about take offs, the routine is set here. I wake up and make the coffee, waiting tell 7 to wake up the guest. I have to walk into the rooms even if their still sleeping which has been pretty interesting and I'd love to write about it here, but I figure I should just hold off on that. This is a public site after all. Then I do laundry or dishes, waiting for the guest to come in so I can serve them. After that is done they leave to get ready to go fishing for the day as I prepare the lunch and coffees that they'll be taking with them. At around 9, Kirk takes off like clock work and Liza, Erin and me all watch as they take off in the Beaver. I then clean the rooms and take my afternoon break at around 11. Then around 5:30 or so we listen patiently to hear some changes in the surrounding area just waiting for a slight hum that we can concluded is the boys returning home. I hope to be able to detect as well as Liza the different sounding planes by the end of the summer or at least  be able to tell a boat from a plane. 

  The last few days have been well into the 70's and even once in the 80's. Its been a little hot for jogging but now I'm taking a swims instead. I swim back and forth in front of the lodge. 
The top  layer of the water is bearable but the moment I dive down as little as a foot my head is bombarded by the rush of icy cold water that takes away my breath and freezes my brain. I stay on the top layer of water to say the least. 




My favorite time of the day is napkin folding time. I really like getting creative and making fun napkin folds. This one is a swan and though the Austrian's weren't that impressed Kirk was, and thats all that mattered.

We take these boat rides to Nondalton which are very enjoyable. Its nice to get out of the lodge every once and awhile to go get the mail though as I said before I can sit in the same place entertaining myself for as long as I want. But though this is the 6th or 7th picture of these same mountains, they are worth every megabit upload.  I find the mountains to be just breath taking. They seem to disappear into infinity. I think I might paint this soon.
It feels that my jogs and the boat rides have been my only quite times in retrospect, the boat ride only because its too loud to talk when your on it. I tried to make it apparent the first few days that I enjoy my alone time but just like any small confined area with only 6 other people it is hard to get away from everyone because everyone knows where to find you and everyone talks to themselves in some form or another. Its not as blunt as a person holding a conversation with themselves but we find ourselves telling unrelated stories or things that just pop into our heads as we batter back and forth about nothing, what we are doing step by step or will do for that matter and everything in between. 
The real question is do I really want to be alone in thought? I would say yes, but yet I check my email and my facebook quite often to a point where it seems to be a thoughtless task or a habitual reaction to boredom. But if I am bored does that mean I'm lonely and would like attention? Attention is great and all but I feel more comfortable with being reserved. So which is it, do I want to stare at the wall like David would do and think long and hard about my next move in the game or just go with the flow like a leaf in the wind, which reminds me. The other day a small dried birch leaf that I think is reminisces of last fall was dancing in front of my eyes as I seat on the porch staring out into the lake and of course my favorite mountains. The leaf stayed airborne for quite sometime in my opinion and I sat there just following it with my eyes until it finally came to rest on the gravel below.

1 comment:

  1. Since I rarely talk to you anymore, I was thrilled to see your new post and "listen" to your thoughts. One never knows how it feels until it is experienced, and then it is so subjective. As always, this will either be another chapter or perhaps another book in the saga of "Dare To Be Ashley"!! Love You Daughter

    ReplyDelete